Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Gluten Free Butterscotch Scones


Another recipe I found on the Tea Time website in my search for gluten free scones was one for chive and goat cheese scones.  I made them with feta and ate the whole batch by myself in a week.  Oh my goodness, they were so good!  Feta is one of my favorite cheeses.  It added such a nice saltiness to the scone.  One night for supper we even had Nana's Sausage Gravy.  While the boys had their gravy over store bought biscuits, I poured my gravy over one of those scones.  Divine!

By this point, I'd now successfully made both orange and cream cheese scones and goat cheese and chive scones.  I'd also successfully made several things with America's Test Kitchen's gluten free flour blend, so I wanted to experiment with making other flavors of scones.  My first thought was to recreate a cinnamon chip scone a friend used to bring me from a coffee shop near her house.  Alas, I couldn't find cinnamon chips.  However as I was looking I found butterscotch chips and fondly remembered butterscotch brownies my grandma used to make us.

I could have used the same dough base I used for the orange and cream cheese scones, and as much as I love them, I like the texture of the goat cheese and chive scones better.  It's lighter and more delicate.  So even though the goat cheese scones were savory, I opted adapt the dough base of them to create a sweet scone. I did use the idea of cream cheese, and add it to this recipe in place of a more savory cheese.

Once baked, I froze these on a baking sheet in the freezer for several hours then transferred them to a storage container.  Thaw on the counter 15-20 minutes, then warm in a toaster oven for 7-10 minutes.

Gluten Free Butterscotch Scones
Adapted from Tea Time Magazine

385 ounces (2 3/4 cups) gluten free flour blend
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 scant cup butterscotch chips
3 ounces cream cheese, cold
1 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream, divided
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla bean paste

Preheat oven to 425*.

In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and butterscotch chips.  Cut cream cheese into pea sized pieces and cut into dry ingredients with two knifes or a pastry cutter.

In a small bowl whisk together 1 1/4 cup heavy cream, egg, and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients, mixing until moistened.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead once.  Using wet or floured hands, form dough into two circles, about 1/2 inch thick.  With large, wet knife cut each circle into 8 wedges. Place scones on parchment lined baking sheets.

Pour remaining 1 tablespoon heavy cream into small bowl and brush over each scone.  Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Makes 16 scones.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum! These sound wonderful! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, all of your scones sound divine. I am GF, too, and am always looking for great recipes! Pinning this.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scones looks really good! And also gluten free too! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! These look really good Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious. You seriously got my sweet tooth going. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will have to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you know that I've been on a scone kick lately or what? Perfect timing for me to see your recipe here. Oh yeah, I pinned it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete