Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Gluten Free Orange and Cream Cheese Scones


Two of my closest girlfriends from college are both big tea drinkers.  One of them even throws beautiful tea parties for her friends.  I was honored enough to be invited to one back in November for our other friend's birthday.  The table was set with heirloom china, crystal, and silver.  She had a savory course and a sweet course, four different blends of tea, and was even kind enough to make sure I had some apple cinnamon gluten free scones perfect for fall so I could enjoy my tea to the fullest.


A couple months ago I grew tired of muffins, oatmeal, and egg dishes for breakfast.  I wanted something different and remembered those scones my friend had made me.  She sent me the link to her favorite tea magazine, Tea Time, that releases a gluten free scone recipe in every bi-monthly issue.  The scone that jumped out at me as I perused their site was for Lemon Cream Cheese Scones.

However once I got ready to make them, I had no lemons, but I did have a 5 pound bag of clementines.  So I made due and zested a clementine instead.  The result was a milder and sweeter scone that worked so nicely with the cream cheese.  The dough does seem a bit crumbly, so I generally prefer to shape these by hand rather than rolling and cutting them out with a biscuit or cookie cutter.

I've made these several times now and frozen them with great results.  In the morning I take two out of the freezer and let them defrost 15-20 minutes on the counter while I shower or take the 9 year old to school.  Once I'm ready to eat, I pop them in the toaster oven for about 7 minutes.

Because most gluten free flours don't brown well, the cream and sugar brushed on the top of these scones help the tops of the scones brown in the oven.  However you can leave the tops plain.

Gluten Free Orange and Cream Cheese Scones
Adapted from Tea Time magazine

350 ounces (2 1/2 cups) gluten free flour blend
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh clementine or orange zest
3 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup (one stick) butter, frozen
3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided

Preheat oven to 375*.

In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest.  Cut cream cheese into pea sized pieces and cut into dry ingredients with two knifes or a pastry cutter.  Grate frozen butter on large holes of a box grater into dry ingredients and stir well to combine butter with dry flour mixture.

Pour 3/4 plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream into dry ingredients and stir until moistened.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead once.  Using wet or floured hands, form dough into small circles, using approximately 1/4 cup of dough for each scone.  Place scones on parchment lined baking sheets.

Pour remaining 1 tablespoon heavy cream into small bowl and brush over each scone.  Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Makes 12 scones.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I love getting new GF recipes. I blog a few of them here and there, as well, but I am still learning. My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac and myself and another daughter have also found we are gluten intolerant. These look really good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relearning how to cook GF is often a challenge. It took me a couple tries to figure out how to thicken with GF flour and not turn things into wallpaper paste. :-)

      Delete
  2. Yum! These sound amazing Laura! Off to stumble :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathe. We've really enjoyed these, although my husband insists on calling them cookies because they tend to look like fat sugar cookies.

      Delete
  3. I've only made scones a handful of times, but I do like them. The combo of citrus and cream cheese sounds really good (I'm a sucker for all things cream cheese anyway).
    Thank you for linking with See Ya in the Gumbo. It's nice to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I just love scones and your Orange and Cream Cheese Scones look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete