Monday, October 8, 2012

Meal Plan Monday - Birthday Boy Edition


Happy Birthday to my baby boy, who is now officially "the 8 year old!"  There was lots of stress involved in the party planning, including moving the venue from our back yard to a nearby church fellowship hall..  I am very thankful for my friend and fellow college alum who is the pastor of the church.  He was very gracious in letting me use their fellowship hall last minute.

I also had major cake difficulties.  I'm not much of a baker, and the 8 year old's favorite cake is strawberry, so I usually use a mix.  Well, the 8 year old requested an egg free cake so his friend who is allergic to eggs could enjoy some birthday cake with everyone else.  After much studying, I finally decided it would be easier just to get some of that Ener-G egg replacer.  Well, I have one word of advice for using an egg replacer and cake mixes - DON'T!  After I threw 4 cakes, yes, four cakes, in the trash because they stuck to the pan or fell out in a disgustingly moist mess, I gave up and made cakes with eggs.  The person at the health food store swore I could use egg replacer with cake mixes, and maybe with organic cake mixes you can, but not with Duncan Hines.

But the party itself was a blast.  The kids had a great time with their paper bag armor, fighting the Everything King (my husband who portrayed a figment of the 8 year old's imagination) and seeking out Spiderexes (Tootsie Pops with google eyes and pipe cleaner legs - another figment of my 8 year old's imagination.)

Today we'll celebrate the 8 year old's birthday as a family.  He has requested a playdate with his bestie at the local park where he wants to open his gifts.  Then we'll come home for his favorite meal - sausage gravy biscuits.

Sunday - Grilled Flank Steak, Baked Potatoes, Corn on the Cob
My parents are coming up for the party and bringing the flank steak.  I picked up some potatoes and corn at the community market to go with it.  There is a sweet potato for my dad, who doesn't not especially care for white potatoes.

Monday - Biscuits and Sausage Gravy, Fruit Salad
The 8 year old's favorite.  I can't quite make it like Nana (my mother-in-law), but I try.


Tuesday - Fried Fish, Sweet Potato Fritters, Cole Slaw
Carry over from last week when the 8 year old was out with friends and my husband and I ended up having a late lunch and a snack supper.  I got some orange sweet potatoes Saturday at the market, so I hope to get some good pics of the fritters and post the recipe this time.

The Chicken of the Woods I got a portion of on Saturday.
Wednesday - Pasta with Chicken of the Woods and Broccoli, Salad
I also got late season broccoli and some chicken of the woods at the community market.  They sounded good sauteed together and tossed with a bit of olive oil, angel hair pasta and Parmesan cheese.

Thursday - Chicken Enchiladas, Rice
These looked easy and good.

Friday - Lasagna, Salad, Bread
I don't make Lasagna often because it makes so much and it's difficult to cut in half.  But I've been craving it lately.

Saturday - Cub Scout Cook-Out
We're doing an all day Cub Scout event and cook-out on Saturday.  Since I'm the Den Leader, I kinda have to be there.

1 comment:

  1. I love planning my meals ahead, seems to keep me on track! Thanks for sharing. Laura visiting from Bloggy Girls. I nominated you for the Liebster Award..see my latest post at http://realmomma.com/i-was-nominated-for-the-liebster-award!

    ReplyDelete