Friday, June 15, 2012

Weekend Recipe Review - Pasta au Gratin with Vegetables


I've made this recipe by bell alimento twice now, making alterations both times, partly so I could half it and partly because my husband arbores celery and nutmeg. The original recipe serves 6.  Either we've cut back a lot on our serving sizes (I've been trying) or that must be very large servings.  I love this meal, as does my husband. I serve it with a green salad and some nice crusty bread.

The vegetables have great flavor and texture and the cheese adds a nice saltiness.  Probably my biggest complaint (which isn't that much) is that I prefer a lot of sauce and this ends up with very little.  I think next time I am going to try more liquid in the egg, cream, cheese mixture to make the whole thing a tiny bit more moist.  Also I have fallen in love with Barilla Mini Penne from their Piccolini line.  Have you seen them?  They are so cute! So I used that instead of a full sized rigatoni.

Pasta au Gratin with Vegetables

8 ounces mini penne
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1/4 onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 baby zucchini, sliced
2 baby eggplant, sliced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
6 tablespoons heavy cream or evaporated milk

Cook penne in boiling water.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion begins to soften. Add eggplant and zucchini and continue cooking. When vegetables start to soften, add the tomatoes. Let simmer.

When pasta is al dente, drain and add to the sauce. Toss gently.

Pour cream, cheese, and egg yolk into small bowl. Mix together. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the cream mixture into pasta and gently mix together.

Spray a large ovenproof dish with cooking spray. Add the pasta/sauce mixture into the dish.

Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and golden on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment